1 (edited by draco fett Saturday, April 29, 2006 6:16 am)

Topic: What books,movies, and games would you recommend?

I would recamend War-Dogs or the Golden Horde , Dracula , and The Picture of Dorian Grey . I do not watch movies, or play games a lot.

take it easy baby take it as it comes

Re: What books,movies, and games would you recommend?

Dorian Grey's a pretty good story. 
Lord of the Rings, Batman begins, XIII, just to name a few...
The only games I'm playing right now are UT2K4, Oblivion, and BFME2, all of which are great games.

"If you don't want me to eat you.....SAY SOMETHING." 
-Captian Murphy

Games:
Shadows of the Empire, Sonic Rush, and almost any Mortal Kombat besides number 4
Movies:
Demolition Man, Predator, Aliens, Alien 3, Cowboy Bebop, Robocop 1-3
Robin and the Seven Hoods[it's got the rat pack, plus it's a 1920's gangster movie]
Books:
Hatchet, Hellsing, Trigun, Bounty Hunter Wars Trilogy, Any of the Alex Rider books

I'll abdicate at the drop of a hat
(BFFC Moderator)

Books: Artemis Fowl sereis, Hazelwood High trilogy, the Quaker Oats recipe list.

Movies: The X-men movies, The Spidey movies, The Star Wars movies (duh), Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Games: X-men Legends II, Ultimate Spider-man, Lego Star Wars, The Metal Slug series,Mario Kart: Double Dash, Super Smash Bros. Melee, Chibi-Robo,Tetris DS

YOUR AD HERE--this space for rent (or lease to own). Call 1-234-5678

Aaahaa!
Games, I'm not gonna name any cause I've got PC only. tongue

For movies, I'd recommend an edited version (www.cleanfilms.com--great site!) of Serenity, October Sky, Stargate (the original), Napoleon Dynamite, aaaaaand I'm brain dead after naming those.

Books, I'd go for Hard Contact, Triple Zero, Monster, This Present Darkness, Piercing the Darkness, What's so Amazing about Grace?, and Rifles for Watie. Oh! And the Hangman's Curse, and Nightmare Academy.

"Whoever is a highly evolved, super-genius raise your hand."  *raises hand*   "Oh."     
-----[color=#FF0000]Rodney McKay[/color]

RC-3222 wrote:

Books, I'd go for Hard Contact, Triple Zero, Monster, This Present Darkness, Piercing the Darkness, What's so Amazing about Grace?, and Rifles for Watie. Oh! And the Hangman's Curse, and Nightmare Academy.

Ooo!  Another Frank Peretti fan!  I like his books as well.
I heard that he is planning to make a movie out of The Oath and Present Darkness, which would be awesome for me, seeing as the Oath takes place pretty much in my backyard (foothills of the Cascades), and he might film some of it in my area. 
The Oath is probably my favorite Peretti novel...can't wait until he gets going on another book.

-Captian Murphy

I would also recomend Howl's Moving Castle (sort of), and the dictionary ( which I did actually read).

I also love Frank Peretti!  But unfortunately I'm only a chapter into Piercing the Darkness.
I would recommend the classics and would second Dorian Gray.  It's easy to read and is almost nothing but profound conversations.  Anything by Rudyard Kipling, C.S. Lewis (Mere Christianity is an amazing book), George MacDonald, etc. will not disappoint you.  (And also, anything from before 1915-ish is free online, if you go to a website like Project Gutenberg.  It's a really cheap way to read some good books.)
For games, well, I'm still stuck on all the adventure games from the 90's.  I wish they still made that genre.

Estuans interius ira vehementi SEPHIROTH!
BFFC Moderator

Author wise, anything by Masume Shirow especially Ghost in the Shell

I'll abdicate at the drop of a hat
(BFFC Moderator)

Addressing Balancesheet and Chrys: YES!!!! Peretti fans!! BS, personally I was totally creeped out by The Oath. It was good but WEIRD... But then again Frank specializes in weird... Have you read the Visitation? That one's weird too. When he describes a decaying dead guy in the trunk of a car... *shudder* I had to sleep with my light on!!

Chrys!!! Piercing the Darkness is SO GOOD!!!!! The Darkness books are my favorites that he's written. Oh, and I agree with you--Mere Christianity is really good, too!!

"Whoever is a highly evolved, super-genius raise your hand."  *raises hand*   "Oh."     
-----[color=#FF0000]Rodney McKay[/color]

Haven't read the Visitation yet... sad ...but I agree, The Oath is pretty creepy.  I just think it would be the easiest to translate into a movie (angels and demons fighting would be awesome, but the plot would need some work for the Darkness books).  I'm just really into moviemaking...I would love to work on either of those projects.
As for Darkness again...I wonder if there really are New Agers trying to take over the world?
Monster was okay...personally, not my favorite Peretti story. I do like the Hangman's Curse and Nightmare Academy though...wish he'd hurry up and make another one in that series.

-Captian Murphy

I keep suggesting all of my friends to read Karen Traviss's Wess'har Wars series, it's easy to read if you already like her Republic Commando tie-ins. A bit difficult if you're not used to science-fiction, military/journalistic descriptions.

The plot (in the main lines) is about aliens disputing a planet, one of them is breeding so fast they need a new planet to pollute and invade, the others are "balancers", they defend nature and all other species without interfering in the environments, they also have super powerful weapons and technologies. Humans enter the picture with their own colonizing projects and the main character, Shan Frankland, is torn between her human fellows with their bad habits (and despising all that is not human), and the Wess'har with Aras, the last of the "balancer soldiers" with a symbiont in his body that made him more or less invincible...

It seems complicated at first, but the more you read and the clearer things get, not like you have to agree with the characters' point of view (there are so many by the way) and it's almost like being part of the adventure, witnessing all of the events with a neutral eye. Traviss is really good at that, too. City of Pearl was some sort of sci-fi revelation to me since I never really read any SF before that. And it made me more aware of ecological matters, and I totally changed my perspective towards other species, animals. I'm reading it again at the moment, while waiting for the 4th sequel tongue

In the same series of novels there are: Crossing the Line, The World Before and upcoming Matriarch in october this year. I can't waaaaitttt smile

[url=http://daennika.deviantart.com]Fan art[/url]

Eion Colfer and Sharon Draper are my fav authors. I recommend anything by them.

YOUR AD HERE--this space for rent (or lease to own). Call 1-234-5678

I'm recommending Karen Traviss' Republic commando books, the game itself "Republic Commando" is AWESOME****, SW Jedi Academy, Desert Storm 1&2, *FIFA STREET****, Rainbow 6, SW Battlefront 2, Super Smash Bro.s, Shadows of the Empire, the old Goldeneye for n64,..........ummmm   i can't think right now, i only had 4 n a half hrs. of sleep. I'll think up more later.

MandalorianSpy9

ā€œ(Iā€™m) Just a fly in the ointment, Hans. The monkey in the wrench. The pain in the a$$.ā€ -John McClane

You speak the truth, MandalorianSpy. I would also recommend Republic Commando the game (I just beat it for the second time) and the RC books. The fourth one is coming soon. I also recommend KOTOR, Smash Bros Brawl, Metroid 3 corruption, Tales of the Bounty hunters, and Bounty Hunter wars to a lesser extent. Halo 1, 2, and 3. All the Halo books, but if you only read one, read Fall of Reach. And did I mention Republic Commando?

"Some soldiers say that to reach maximum combat efficiency, they need to be in the zone. Sir; I live in the zone." - RC 1207 'Sev' to RC 1138 'Boss'

I recommend the movie "What women want".
I've rented it because LisaEdelstein was in, and finally, I've really like it.
It's with Mel Gibson.
So funny movie
smile

Everybody lies, even Dr.Cuddy!
;)

30 Days of Night

As Good as it Gets, I'd say. I got it by mistake, looking for another movie with Jack Nicholson in it, but finally it was good. Not your typical Nicholson movie, but interesting.

Cast iron and treadmills? Oh yes. Still sculpting me to what I really want to be, and I love it. :)

I recommend any of Jude Watson's Star Wars books. LOVE them.  To be honest i don't think I've read more than two non star wars books in the last three years when I first got into them. But I do recommend the Lord of the Rings, The hobbit and if you are more hardcore into the realm of Middle Earth, The Simalarion, Children of Huron, and the Adventures of Tom Badil ( I think i misspelled these sorry).

Games? Always Knights of the Old Republic.  OR there is a backyard game my friend made me called "Hillbilly golf". Thats fun.

Meat is murder...... tasty tasty murder.
"Suggestion: Electrocution works well. Evisceration and Decapitation are also effective, or um, so I've heard."

Books.  I have lots.  Anything by Ted Dekker.  Amazing author.  Good thrillers and such.  But some like Showdown are crazy.  Marsuvees Black is one of the coolest villains ever.  Another great author is Robert Jordan may he rest in peace.  His series is one of the best I've read.  Takes a good while to get through depending on how fast you read.

And you were close Si.  Silmarillion, Hurin, and Tom Bombadil were the errors.

[i]Like I told your captain, the orphange attacked me.  It was self-defense.[/i]  -Richard the Warlock  [url]http://archive.lfgcomic.com/lfg0002.gif[/url]

LOVE Ted Dekker. His stuff is amazing. I've read the Circle Trilogy, Showdown, Saint, and the first book of "The Lost Books" series (Chosen is the book), which ties into the Circle Trilogy. But Showdown is the best single book to start with, 'cause Saint ties heavily into it. And they both tie into the Circle Trilogy.

Basically, I second Sev's Motion.

Isaac Asimov is an amazing sci-fi author. Older stuff, though. The movie, "I, Robot" was based off of his writings.

Loved LoTR. Only read the Trilogy and the Hobbit, though. 

Games--Halo, COD4, The Bourne Conspiracy. Not anything else at the moment.

[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yff3jH8NECs]"Touch my Awesome Button."[/url]
--Captain Dynamic--

Books: Dragonlance series, most noticably The Chronicles trilogy and the Legends Trilogy. Those books got me into reading(my avatar is from there)
and the Riftwar Saga by Raymond E Feist. Those two sets are hands down my favorites

Movies: Raiders of the Lost Ark, Hook, Snatch...theres really too many

Games: Legend of the Dragoons, Metal Gear Solid series, Goldeneye, Zelda Series, and many, many more

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
I am a Role Playing Gamer, like my father before me.

I would recommend to kids ( children wink ) ( tongue )

LOL , sorry............ XD

Anyway, for kids I would recommend the Sci-Fi book " The Roar " by Emma Clayton! big_smile

I'm still reading through it! It's awesome! big_smile I'm on Chapter 9 page 108.

It's awesome with lots of future reference and Science Fiction thrill to it! big_smile

http://www.lovereading4kids.co.uk/book/ ā€¦ ayton.html

You're foolish words can never hurt me